2. How is Ebola spread?
Ebola is spread when a healthy person:
- Comes in contact with body fluids (blood, saliva, vomitus, stool, urine, sweat and other body fluids) from a person who is infected with Ebola.
- Handles dead bodies of persons who have died from Ebola.
- Handles personal effects of persons infected or who have died from Ebola e.g. Clothing, beddings.
- Comes in contact with contaminated environment (surfaces).
- Can also be spread by handling or eating raw meat of Ebola infected chimpanzees, gorillas, monkeys, porcupines, forest antelopes and Fruit Bats.
Note: Ebola cannot be transmitted through the air.